Short Breaks Service Review
Middlesbrough Council are currently undertaking a review of the Short Breaks Service that it has for families of children with special needs. This review will determine the future way short breaks will be offered/supported from the local authority and has been shared widely.
Review of short break services – have your say!
Local Authorities have a legal duty to provide short break services for children and young people (0-18 years) with disabilities and their families. A short break is any service that gives the main carer a break from their caring responsibilities, and can include:
- Daytime care in the homes of disabled children or elsewhere
- Overnight care in the homes of disabled children or elsewhere
- Educational or leisure activities for disabled children outside their homes
- Services to assist carers in the evenings, weekends and during the school holidays.
The main aims of short break services are to provide disabled children and young people:
- the opportunity to: spend time away from their parents and carers;
- relax and have fun with their friends, and
- develop their independence.
They also give families an opportunity to: have a break from their caring responsibilities; rest and unwind, and spend time with other members of their family.
Middlesbrough Council has recently reviewed the way it provides short breaks for children and young people with disabilities in Middlesbrough, and would greatly appreciate your views on the new proposals. You can do this by completing a questionnaire either online or on paper, most families affected by these proposals have been sent packs in the mail.
If you wish to complete the questionnaire online, please click on the following link: http://consult.middlesbrough.gov.uk/portal/shortbreakmodel.
The survey should only take about ten minutes, and your views will help the Council ensure that that their new approach fully meets the needs of those who require the service. All information provided will remain completely confidential.
To help you complete this survey we have also provided a range of background information to support you including:
- information on the Resource Allocation System (RAS)
- the Executive report which triggered this consultation
- information on the eligibility criteria
- information on current short break support processes and individual budgets
If you would like to know more about the survey, or need assistance completing the questionnaire, please contact the Short Break Facilitators on 01642 579169 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We have an easy read version of the survey if you would prefer to complete that version instead.